The South Coast essentially is from Galle to Hambantota. In comparison to the West Coast, it is much more secluded and away from the main tourist beaches. Tourists visiting this area can marvel at the beautiful coral-protected bays, headlands, untouched wilderness and experience the rural fishing villages.
Galle is the main city of the South Coast and was recently hit by the Tsunami in 2004. This is a bustling city that has many industrial areas.
The further you travel towards the South-East Coast you will find beautiful palm fringed bays.
Things to do and explore:
- Sailing and deep sea fishing at Mirissa Water Sports Centre
- Scuba diving in Dickwella
- Surfing in Mirissa
- Turtle night safari in Rekuwa
- Weligama’s stilt fisherman
- Whale & Dolphin watching in December and April