If you are a traveller that appreciates culture, heritage and the ancient history, then this is the place to experience while in Sri Lanka. The Cultural Triangle covers Sigirya, Dambulla, Anuradhapura and Polonnaruwa. The history here goes back to the 400BC and has been home to many past kingdoms. Sri Lanka’s first kingdom was built here in Anuradhapura.
You will find some amazing architecture, sophisticated irrigation systems, man-made lakes, beautiful temples and so forth. The ruins of the Cultural Triangle are protected by the UNESCO as World Heritage sites and will take your breath away!
Places and experiences of interest during your visit to the Cultural Triangle include:
- Cycling on the peaceful minor roads by the lakes and paddy fields
- Dambulla’s cave paintings and Buddha statues
- Elephants in Minneriya
- Elephant trek in Habarana
- The climb up the giant rock fortress of Sigirya
- The extensive ruins of the former capitals, Anuradhapura and Polonnaruwa
- The wooded walk through the ruins of Ritilgala
- Vesak in Mihintale